On a bronze plaque to the Jones family, there is a memorial to Anthony Gilbert Jones, J.P. from Hatherley Court who died in 1887 and his wife Elizabeth who died in 1909; as well as one of their seven sons Francis William Jones who died in 1922. But also listed on it are two other men. One is a grandson and one is a great-grandson of this family. Both died in the Great War: Frederick Hatherley Bruce Selous MC and Jaffray Fryer Selous Jones.
Thomas Neville had been a Captain of the 3rd (Prince of Wales) Dragoon Guards. He was killed in action near Ypres on the 13th May 1915. He joined the army in 1900 and obtained a commission just before the Boer War and after this received the Queen's Medal and five clasps. He was adjutant of the Yorkshire Dragoon Guards for five years who then returned back to his original regiment. At the outbreak of the war, he and his regiment, the 3rd Dragoon Guards were ordered to the front.
It is a memorial panel of substance, size and laden with emotion. For Edward Guy Pritchett was indeed all of the above; a Lieutenant in the Herefordshire Regiment, a husband, a father. He enlisted in 1917 and went to France in October 1917. He was attached to the 6th Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry. He went missing on the 16th May 1918 and was then reported killed in action. He was 32 years old.
In the Forest Church at Drybrook, where the trees becomes forest, there lies still, the legacy of the war of 1914 - 1918. As a reservist, John James Denton was called up on the outbreak of war. He served with the 12th (Prince of Wales Royal) Lancers and disembarked for mainland Europe on the 28th November 1914. On the 13th April 1918, having served nearly all of the war, John Denton died from his wounds. He died at Number 9 General Hospital at Rouen, France.
This war memorial plaque speaks so much of the loss of this village; the people that made this place what it was at the turn of the century. On the wall of this small church is a metal plaque, copper or brass painstakingly etched with a name and a memory. An angel bends down to anoint a dying soldier.
The John the Baptist Church at Old Sodbury sits on a perfect ridge above the more well-known of the Chipping Sodbury. Views go on for miles and above you along the ridge is the old iron age fort which sits atop the Cotswold escarpment. The Cotswold Way drifts past this church heading for further distances, but those who linger will see the wondrous views from a simple wooden bench at the end of the churchyard.
The War Memorial tablet hangs from the wall inside the church at Bredon. Among the many names of the fallen with links to this small Worcestershire village are those of the individuals described above. Men who never came home. The unreturned army of Bredon.
The last farewell by a wife to her husband. Hung on a wall in Ampney Crucis church. There is something earnest and beautiful about it. Made of wood and crafted with a consideration and care. Thoughtful. For here in this beautiful and elegant Cotswold village, the war must have seen like a lifetime away. Here in this estate church perched next to a grand house. Village life, estate life must have been the life of this village. I passed the village war memorial on the way to the church; over the brook and past the small green where the Cotswold stone memorial cross stands.
In July 1916, Miss Lloyd-Baker of Hardwicke Court, Hardwicke, Gloucester wrote a letter to the local newspaper asking if any person had received any letters from soldiers in the Gloucestershire Yeomanry about the fate of her brother Captain Michael Granville Lloyd Lloyd-Baker. She asked if they would communicate directly.